Are you looking for cheap auto parts? Well, you should consider buying the parts from an automotive wrecker. In the extract below, you will learn how to purchase used parts from an auto wrecker.
Rely on Reputation
As a rule of the thumb, you should only deal with reputable auto wreckers. Check online reviews or seek referrals from friends who have bought car parts from auto wreckers. Below are a few advantages of working with a reputable wrecker:
- Most wreckers have an inventory of everything they have in their yards to ensure you have an easy time locating the used part.
- The business may provide guarantees and warranties on some of the used parts.
- They employ experienced staff to help you choose a suitable and compatible part.
- You might get discounts if you are a loyal customer or if you intend to purchase the parts in bulk.
Inspect the used part
Visit the auto wrecker and inspect the part for dents and cracks if the vehicle was involved in an accident. Check the vehicle's service records to know how long the part was used.
If you drive a classic or rare car whose parts are hard to source, purchase as many parts as you can when you find them. For instance, you could buy a fuel pump, injectors and suspension components to use in the future.
Terms and Conditions
Some wreckers will ask you remove the part yourself. If this is the case, you will need a spanner, socket wrench and a grinder to cut through metal. Carry some lubricant to help you loosen rusted nuts. Some dismantlers will hire out these tools if you do not have them. Additionally, you could ask the staff at the facility to extract the part if you cannot handle the task.
Below are a few safety tips to observe when removing used parts:
- The vehicle's handbrake should be functional. If it is not, use rocks to prevent the car from rolling as you work.
- Wear protective clothing such as gloves and safety goggles.
- Do not use electronic tools such as grinders on wet surfaces. Also, do not leave the machine running when it is not in use.
- Be on the lookout for heavy metals that could hurt you. Take a friend with you if you will handle heavy components such as the engine, gearbox, suspension and structural members.
Purchasing used parts from an auto dismantler is now easy with the above tips. Work with a reputable business, inspect the used part, inquire about the terms and conditions and observe the recommended safety tips.